Your oral health is a vital aspect of your overall health, which is why you need to visit your primary dentist for a semi-annual cleaning and examination. Early detection of cavities, gum disease or other oral issues will provide you with the best range of treatment options, saving you time, money and pain in the long term.
Just as you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician twice a year for an examination of your body, visiting your dentist ensures your mouth is healthy. While you can schedule a visit at other times if you are experiencing pain or an unexplained concern, preventative treatments will reduce these occurrences.
What to Expect:
During your semi-annual teeth cleaning, the hygienist will begin by removing any built up plaque on your teeth and note areas of concern. Depending on your age and other circumstances, x-rays may be in order as well. The dentist will then speak with you personally regarding the results of the examination.
The two of you will then work together to develop a treatment plan to restore your mouth to a healthy state. The specifics may include anything from simple fillings to root canals. Your dentist will present options for each area of concern.
What Are The Benefits?
One benefit associated with teeth cleaning visits is that your dental provider knows your health history and can make certain that your treatments are chosen accordingly. Regular visits maintain a record that can be useful in emergencies or when a problem arises. Your dental provider can provide you faster treatment that accommodates your specific needs, rather than a dentist that you have never seen before.
Another reason that you need to have your semi-annual teeth cleaning is to help prevent disease. A good dentist can find cavities that you may not even feel yet, allowing you to have it filled before it spreads deeper than the enamel into the dentin. They can also diagnose early stages of gum disease, gingivitis, and note any cysts, bumps or unnatural appearances in your mouth, including your tongue and the visible parts of your throat.
The third benefit you receive from visiting your dentist for regular teeth cleaning is that it provides a good look at your general health. You may not yet be aware of an existing health condition that shows signs in your mouth.
In between your semi-annual visits, you need to prioritize your oral health and incorporate it into your daily routine.
Follow these guidelines:
- Brush your teeth every morning, including your tongue. Follow up with an alcohol-free mouthwash.
- Before retiring in the evening, you should do the same. Floss your teeth as well.
- Use a soft bristled brush. Harder bristles can irritate your gums.
- Purchase high-quality toothpaste and mouthwash. Saving a little bit of money by using poor products will cost you more if your teeth and gums are not well cared for.
- Avoid or use sparingly products that may harm your teeth. If you still smoke cigarettes or use chewing tobacco, get help to quit. Sodas, coffee and alcohol all weaken tooth enamel. Clean your mouth well after consumption.
- Consume calcium each day, preferably from your diet. Vitamin D will aid in absorption so, look for meals that contain both.
- Purchase a tongue brush rather than using your toothbrush.
In order to maintain your health, you need to take care of your mouth. Visiting your dentist for semi-annual teeth cleaning is a good start. Take care of your teeth between appointments and you should be able to keep your teeth, gums and related tissues healthy. Book an appointment with the experienced team at Central Avenue Dental today.