If you’re a member of the Millennial Generation or older, you probably remember most of your middle school friends flashing bright metal smiles thanks to traditional braces. Nowadays, as technology continues to advance in all aspects of our lives, there’s an alternative to metal braces to straighten teeth. It’s called Invisalign, and it’s changing the way people achieve a flawless smile. Read on to find out what Invisalign is all about and if it’s the right choice for you.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is the trademarked named for clear, plastic orthodontic aligners. Invisalign aligners are custom-made, form-fitting retainers that move your teeth into the correct position over time. Although they move teeth like traditional braces, they’re removable, which offers many advantages over braces that stay in place for years. Additionally, Invisalign works its magic without brackets or wires, reducing the pain and food restrictions that come along with braces.
Who’s a Good Candidate for Invisalign?
Invisalign is perfect for patients with mild to moderate dental conditions. As long as your condition is not so severe that an orthodontist has to correct your jaw alignment, you will get positive results from Invisalign. Invisalign is the perfect choice to:
- Close gapped teeth
- Straighten crooked or crowded teeth
- Repair overbites, underbites, and crossbites
Invisalign is a great option for adults and older teenagers whose teeth are no longer growing in. You also must commit to the process of wearing the aligners at least 22 hours a day and following up treatment with a retainer to keep your teeth in line.
How Am I Fitted for Invisalign?
After an initial appointment to determine if Invisalign will work for you, your orthodontist will make impressions of your teeth and send the molds to a lab for digital interpretation. Your orthodontist will review a 3D computer model of how your teeth will respond to the aligners. After this review, your orthodontist will order the first set of aligners to get you started on the road to straight teeth. The number of aligners you receive depends on the complexity of your unique case. Expect to wear each set of aligners for about two weeks before moving on to the next pair.
You’ll visit your orthodontist every four to six weeks for a quick checkup to ensure you’re seeing positive results and to get your next set of aligners. Occasionally your orthodontist may have to attach a small anchor to a tooth to help the aligners move the teeth in the right direction.
What are the Advantages of Invisalign?
There are many reasons to choose Invisalign over traditional braces.
- They’re Removable – Since you remove your aligners during meals, you don’t have to give up popcorn, apples, candy, and other foods that can damage metal braces. Additionally, you can effectively brush and floss your teeth, reducing your chance of getting tooth decay.
- You’ll Have More Confidence – Invisalign lives up to its name as being nearly invisible. You’ll feel more confident about smiling in public and will avoid the dreaded taunts of “brace face” or “metal mouth.”
- They’re Less Time Consuming – Traditional braces can take several years to correct your smile. Invisalign patients usually complete their course of treatment in as little as 10 to 24 months.
- They’re Cost Effective – Many dental insurance plans cover the cost of Invisalign. With fewer office visits and convenient monthly installment plans, Invisalign is quite affordable.
Are you interested in learning more about Invisalign? Make an appointment today with Central Avenue Dental in Valley Stream, NY, Queens, and Manhattan.