Central Avenue Dental is one of New York’s premier dental practices, with convenient locations in Tribeca, Manhattan and Valley Stream, Queens. Our experienced dentists and staff are experts in general dentistry services, including pediatric dentistry. Dr. Alevtina Edgar is especially good at putting children at ease and making their dental visit comfortable since she has two small kids of her own. Dr. Edgar and Dr. Ilyabayev are both members of the American Dental Association and New York State Dental Association. We always put your satisfaction first and have been recognized as a Patient’s Choice Winner on Opencare. Visit the best pediatric dentists in NYC today!
What Is Pediatric Dentistry?
Most people know that pediatric means “for children.” If children don’t have any teeth or if they have only “baby teeth” that will fall out, what kind of special care do they need? The fact is, that if a child’s baby teeth are damaged or hurt, that may affect the way the adult teeth grow in. Good dental care starts long before children are adolescents. Special care for children by NYC pediatric dentists who are qualified is essential, starting from when the child is an infant.
Why Do Children Need a Qualified Pediatric Dentist?
- Children are not just small adults
- Special care and approaches are needed to make children comfortable
- Pediatric dental treatment requires specially designed equipment
- Pediatric dentist’s offices, arrangements, and decorations need to be child-friendly
- Children may require treatments that adults do not need, such as fluoride
Importance of Pediatric Dentistry
Children begin to get their baby teeth when they are about 6 to 7 months old. Then they lose their “baby teeth” and their second set (permanent) teeth begin to grow in. But this first set of teeth is important, and even very young children may face oral decay and disease if they don’t have proper pediatric dental care. This can cause a lifetime of pain and dental complications. These days, early childhood cavities are even more common in children than asthma and hay fever.
What Types of Treatments Do Our NYC Pediatric Dentists Provide?
- Preventive dental care includes cleaning and fluoride* treatments
- A pediatric dentist may recommend nutrition and diet changes
- Infants can benefit from oral health exams that include risk assessment for cavities
- Dentists may recommend ways to stop bad habits, like pacifiers and thumb-sucking
- Young children can be assessed for possible need for future braces or improper bite
- Even children can get cavities, which must be filled immediately
- Some mouth conditions may be associated with deeper, more important issues, such as diabetes, heart defect, asthma, hay fever, even ADHA
- Children can get gum disease and mouth ulcers
- A pediatric dentist should handle a child’s dental injury such as fracture or knocked-out teeth
*Years ago fluoride was introduced into most towns’ water systems and was considered a great improvement in helping to prevent cavities. But not all towns have fluoride in their water. Some dentists believe that supplemental fluoride treatments are helpful.
Advantages of Pediatric Dental Care
- Identify early decay and fill cavities
- Check to see if the child has the proper nutrition
- Get dental history in the family from a parent
- Teach parents how to instruct children in daily cleanings and care
- Find problems in youngsters that may lead to complications later
- Note that the child may have another condition that is associated with certain dental problems
- Assure children that dentists are not to be feared or associated with pain
- Ensure that your child does not have gum disease or mouth ulcers
- Set up a lifetime of good dental hygiene and its importance
Pediatric Dental Care Is the Best for Children
Whether your child has ever seen a pediatric dentist and whether there seem to be tooth or mouth problems, it is never too early to start your child on a lifetime of good dental care. The two primary dentists at Central Avenue Dental in NYC, Dr. Alvetina Edgar and Dr. Igor Ilyabayev, are both members of the American Dental Association and of the Dental Society of the State of New York. Their offices are conveniently located in Manhattan Tribeca at 212 571-0033 and in Valley Stream, New York at 516 887-0020 . Call today for a consultation, or schedule an appointment for your child today. Central Avenue Dental can take care of all your family’s dental needs at either location, so don’t wait. Your child’s health is in your hands.